Thursday, October 9, 2008

good news, bad news, good news

The news from the orthopedic surgeon was not uniformly bad. The good news: I don't need surgery for the foreseeable future. The bad news: When I do have surgery it will be a total knee replacement because, friends, I have as good as no cartilage in my knee (no wonder it hurts!). However, it will be awhile before I get a replacement because the prevailing wisdom is to put it off until the joint is quite deteriorated. In the meantime I will have periodic cortisone injections to keep the swelling down (I got one today--not as awful as it sounds), keep taking my anti-inflammatories, get a good glucosamine/chondroitin supplement because that does lubricate the joints, and try to take enough exercise to maintain muscle tone. In other words I can't just sit around. Wonder if I can knit on my exercise bike?

The other good news is that I did go to Hobby Lobby, not for knitting needles but for yarn. I bought 5 skeins and some circular needles with a shorter cable than the one I've been using. So it was not a trip without side benefits.




These are all yarns I bought, and in the proper colors, from the Hobby Lobby website. I got a skein of plain black wool, too, but you can use your imaginations there. It's the same stuff I knit that first hat with a couple of days ago. All in all not an unfruitful trip. I have much more knowledge, at any rate, and understand better what I'm up against.

One more bit of good news: The weather for Artful Taste of Autumn this Saturday is supposed to be PERFECT. Sunny, blue skies, and temps in the upper 70s. I will, in fact, take photos.

10 comments:

Julie said...

Well, I'm glad you don't have to face surgery just yet and I hope they will keep the pain under control for you. The yarn is very yummy :)

CG said...

Your poor knee. I really feel for you. But I have heard the surgery is incredibly effective. I love your new wools.

Viv said...

My you have had a bit of a spend! Nothing better than retail therapy! the yars look lovely...like the felting one particularly!
Glad the surgery is some way off.... you will have to learn to knit whilst walking!

Genie said...

Hi Susan
Glad you had good news for the time being anyway, Love the wool.
Hopefully we have got good weather as well have a good weekend

Aussie Jo said...

I sympathise with your knee problems, I have had a dodgy knee since my late teens. I've avoided doing anything about it though.

Bethel of Bethania said...

G'day Susan,
What yummy wool ... gosh I know what you are going through with your poor knee - both of mine give me curry, most of the time, one at a time - if it's both playing up I hide in the corner ... ha ha Take Care ... OOroo ... Bethel

Robin Mac said...

You have had a very productive shopping spree - great news that you don't need surgery just yet. I have seen that felted yarn here in Oz, it is wonderful on the embellisher. Hope the weather lived up to its promises last Saturday. Cheers, Robin

Debbi Baker said...

That is good news (sort of!) Susan! Thinking of you and pleased to hear you being so positive about it all! That has to help at least a bit. Your new yarns are gorgeous and I am fascinated by the felting one in the previous post! PS like your new banner too - somehow I only just noticed t so I hope it hasn't been up for ages...

Maureen said...

Well fairly good news Sue, as they say -'keep taking the tablets' - love your wool purchases.

Mrs Moog said...

Good to hear you don't need surgery just yet. I hope they can control the pain for you.

Lovely yarn colours :) There's nothing like a bit of wool shopping to cheer you up, huh?

xxx