Monday, October 6, 2008

warning: surgery ahead


Well, it's official. The knee pain I've been experiencing does indeed have organic roots, as opposed to being a figment of my fevered imagination. Went to my general practice doctor and had an x-ray which showed three (!) bone spurs and thin cartilage on the medial (inner) side of my knee joint. There is a lot of popping going on in the outer side as well, which probably means either a meniscus tear or another cartilage issue. I have been referred to an orthopedic surgeon who will do an MRI later this week to have a view on the soft tissue stuff. Then I will be facing either a) surgery to remove the bone spurs and torn cartilage, or b) total knee replacement. I probably don't need to tell you which I hope it is. I'm also hoping to stave off whichever surgery I need until the beginning of the year to make the most of my insurance and time off for healing options. I will, of course, keep you posted.
I have been madly knitting scarves and will have several for sale at Artful Taste of Autumn coming up this weekend. I'm also rather tentatively trying the little knitted roll-brim hat pattern I found on this rather amusing blog. If it turns out I'll post a photo. If not...
Hope everyone is having a fine Monday.

3 comments:

Viv said...

Oh poor you...let's hope the MRI results are the ones you want...whilst you're recuperating from whichever option though just think of all the crafting you can do!!
Oh and as for the hat....well we need o see the photo of it on YOUR HEAD!!! LOL

Maureen said...

The old knee problems come to us all I'm afraid, I try to ignore mine whenever possible and keep taking the tablets!!

Julie said...

Poor you, that's just what I was going to say! I'm not pleased you've got a bad knee but I'm glad it wasn't your fevered imagination. That's just how I feel when I go to the Doctor. I hope you get the outcome from the scan that you want. It will be good to be pain free.