Wednesday, October 1, 2008

wednesday update

I'm back, with a little progress report. Here are the knitted scarves I've produced recently. At the left is the one knit with the recycled silk fiber yarn and the other two are an eyelash acrylic and variegated yarn with a little angelina-looking stuff in it. I think they've come out rather well. Since they're only 8 to 10 stitches wide each, they knitted up very quickly which is always a plus.


Here are some photos from the VAAM exhibit at the Lincoln Art Center in Lincoln, KS. The art center is located in an old building downtown, which has the original pressed tin ceiling common to buildings from the mid part of the 19th century, including some houses. I thought it would be interesting to include a photo of it here.

Here's a photo of the gallery at large. You can see the ceiling here, too.

A photo including the work of some VAAM Gallery member artists. We really have a nice variety of mediums represented.


This is work by my friend Michaela, whom I've blogged about before. She's a very interesting and talented lady.


And here's my little contribution. I can't think why I didn't photograph this from the opposite direction too, but there are a couple more pieces on the other side. You'll just have to take my word for it, I guess!

This is the only new piece I put in the show. It's called "l'or du roi" or "the king's gold". The little pillows are made of silk fabric, painted, stitched, stamped and other wise embellished. It was very tactile and fun to do. The bowl is a piece I did earlier out of papier mache but seemed perfect to display the pillows.

Outside the Lincoln Art Center was parked this interesting vehicle which I was urged to photograph and include on my blog. As you can see it is an art car, apparently making a statement about our use of fossil fuels. I'm not sure if it was a positive or negative statement, however.

Another view of the art car.

This angle includes a shot of Michaela, mentioned above.

Thanks for hanging in there with me. I hope everyone is having a good week.

9 comments:

Genie said...

Hi Susan
Love the scarves, and your work in the gallery,
Thanks for visiting and comment
The Rovings were dyed with Kool Aid
and i cannot wait to use them.
Have a good weekend

Julie said...

Thanks for sharing the show Susan -it looks great. That car is certainly wild!

Viv said...

these scarves are GORGEOUS!!! Love the one on the left with the silk fibres...the colours are beautiful. hope you're well! x

Maureen said...

Looked like a good exhibition, your pillows are great and that car certainly makes a statement.

CG said...

Very interesting pot. the scarves look lovely. i adore those little pillows

Ange J Lee said...

Great photos thanks for sharimng them with us.....and your scarves are 'yummy'!!!!

melicia's fiber art and mixed media said...

Nice pictures. The display looks great; I wish I could have gone.

Aussie Jo said...

What a beautiful gallery space. Our exhibition at the weekend was very crowded, I don't think they did the exhibits justice.

Jennifer Williams said...

These cars are so cool! We don't have anything like that around here. I especially like the dinosaur one!