Friday, February 29, 2008

finally friday



At last it's Friday and I can anticipate spending some extended time in the studio over the next couple of days. I worked on the silk paper journal cover a bit last night, fusing the silk paper to some heavy weight pellon to give it a more regular shape, then free-motion stitching all over it. Of course, the white pellon against the bright silk paper looked horrible and I thought I needed to damp the colors down somewhat anyway, so I spritzed the whole thing with walnut ink.



I think that helps to blend the edges in a less obtrusive way and knock down the extreme color vibrance while at the same time giving me a substantial surface on which to do more embellishment. I'm going to study up on my Maggie Grey crusty surface techniques-- she's a genius.


I've been trading recipes with Sara who by all accounts is a wonderful cook. Her blog is a fun read.


Today is catblogging Friday (also Leap Day--happy birthday to anyone who only gets to celebrate every four years!) and I have to say I'm not happy with one or more of my kitties. This morning I found a formerly perfectly beautiful skein of Stef Francis spun silk which used to look like this:

lying in a draggled heap on the floor. Grrrr. I'm sure I can still use it, once I get it untangled, but still. It wasn't like I left it where the little furry darlings should be able to get at it, but cats will be cats.

Happy Friday, everyone.

5 comments:

Mrs Moog said...

That journal cover is going to be very beautiful. Have a fun weekend :)

xxx

SaraLynn said...

Thank you for all the kind comments! I love the sound of the couscous salad and will post about it soon. i have a sick kiddo today so, I it may be a while before i get to do some serious blogging!
Have a great day!

Kate said...

Oooh, shiny! Can't wait to see what happens next! xx

Kate North said...

well heck , tried to leave a comment and it didn't work. oh well, trying again - what I said was that although i used to have kitties and they were fun, I think i'm glad not to have them to "help" in my sewing room.

CG said...

Oh that's going to be hgorgeous!!